Saturday, July 24, 2010

An open letter

Dear Hollywood,

WHY??? How can you even think of making a US version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?"

I'm sure the thinking goes that Americans are too lazy/dumb/anglo-centric to watch a movie with sub-titles. However your core audience is the people who read the book. It is not a short book. I would think that if someone is willing to put the time and energy into reading the book, they would have more interest in seeing the movie in the original language and in the actual settings.

To "americanize" this movie would be to lose the core that made the novel great.

my two cents.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Haven't read the book - I assume you would recommend it?

indamanda said...

yep. It takes a long time to get into but then it is gripping. I just finished the second one and am waiting for the third to come out in paperback.