Thursday, March 18, 2010

when channel surfing = life evaluation


Channel 11 is showing Empire Records, a snapshot of what I thought was cool in 1995 (and what I was actually watching in 1995). Miniskirts and combat boots; the soundtrack (which I still love); boys with overstyled/I just got up in the morning hair, tattoos and plaid shirts. 1995 was not my best year. I focussed on things like Miniskirts and combat boots; boys with overstyled/I just got up in the morning hair, tattoos and plaid shirts and two dollar drinks.

And then channel 82 is showing Gladiator, the movie I should have been watching in 1995. I might have been inspired to do my Latin homework; not start researching papers the day before they were due; write more than one draft of a paper; find a focus beyond the social. Maybe I would have gotten into a better grad school, decided to do a PhD and had a completely different life.

But then I might not have this:

or my Vancouver friends, my Ottawa/PHI friends and my Toronto friends and I think, well, perhaps things worked out exactly as they were meant to.

No comments: