Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Haute Couture

Yes, I follow the shows. I have a very co-dependent relationship with Style.com. I check obsessively three or four times a day during the season to see the pictures from the runway shows as soon as they are posted. It's Spring/Summer 2006 and for the most part I am in love with what I see. Couture is Art - with a deliberate capital A. It is expressionism, craftsmanship and where style begins. Many of the ideas you see now and will scoff at as entirely being unwearable, will be walking down the street in about 18 months.

I am in lust with the Chanel and Valentino Collections. I need those Boots from Chanel!!! Valentino's suits are delicious. I am very glad I have my white trenchcoat from last spring because it is still the colour.

Not all is delightful though, there is something about Dior this season that just seems to say "I got half finished with the design and then decided to put it through a wood-chipper." I understand the statement he is trying to make, I just don't think anyone should have to wear it. Normally I love the avant-garde classicism of Galliano, so evident in the Fall 2005 Couture Collection but this time the collection is a little too "St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre" for my taste but you be the judge.



As an on-topic aside as to where I got my visual reference to the Massacre watch La Reine Margot. One of my favourite movies of all time (and the only novel I ever tried to read in French - tried being the operative word, thank goodness for translations!)

No comments: