Sunday, March 31, 2013

bring on the new

So it's Easter Sunday and we're off to church.  I don't mind too much.  I was up anyway.

I'm anxious, since we started going to the country on weekends we have a new church.  I'm comfortable at our old "city" church.  They know me.  No one looks at me askance anymore when I wear jeans, drink coffee in my pew, and don't sing, pray or take communion.  It's actually kind of handy being the atheist, ex-Sunday School teacher.

As the lone honest atheist at the church, it was very liberating.  I never pretended and once had a very frank and stimulating discussion with the head minister about my non-belief.  We agreed to disagree.  No harm, no foul.  I respect anyone's right to believe as I would hope they would respect my right not to believe.

I am often asked why I bother going and my answers have seemed baffling to some.  "It is important to my husband and I love him.  My daughter needs to be exposed so that she will get all the information she needs in order to make her own decisions about faith."

As for the whole Sunday School thing, there was a need and I pitched in when no-one else would.  One might say it was very "Christian" of me.

Now I have a whole new bunch of people to break in, pray for me.  ;-0

2 comments:

Janin said...

You have a brave soul

indamanda said...

erased the post about hoping you could come to the "battle" Janin. realized it sounded weird if you didn't know what we were talking about.