Tuesday, October 11, 2005

the amazing disappearing contact lens

So my sister's wedding was this past weekend and it was beautiful and perfect and exactly as I had hoped it would be for her and her new husband.

And just so the evening wasn't without a little drama this is what happened:

Around 8:30 or 9:00 I blinked and noticed that there was an issue with my vision in my left eye. Not quite sure what was going on I decided to go to the washroom and see if I could see anything. Couldn't. Unsure as to whether my contact had fallen out or whether it had disappeared into the unreachable regions of my eye, I decided that it would be best to remove the one contact I was sure was in my eye and resume wearing my glasses.

(Small sidebar on my spectacles: I love wearing my glasses. Not only can I see properly and without blur, but they don't involve sticking my finger into my eye to put in and remove the contact lens. I am a random contact wearer, in fact the last time I wore them was for my own wedding)

Unfortunately my glasses were in the trunk of our rental car at the B&B where we were staying. Since I was effectively blind and it was dark, my gallant husband hoofed it there and back, returning with my beloved spectacles.
I tried to put the matter out of my mind and resumed having a lovely time (luckily I found that the bartender loves martinis as much as I do!). Got up the next morning, my eyes were pretty red (beyond hangover red, more like bleeding into the brain red), especially the left, but I just assumed that was from my trying to remove the contact that wasn't there. As I felt nothing, I assumed that it had fallen out and put it from my mind. We arrived home after our four hour drive, my portion of which was the 401 from Belleville to home. Came in, walked up the stairs, felt something in my eye, blinked hard a couple of times and looked in the mirror. There was my contact, all folded up on itself nicely in thirds just hanging out in my eye. BLECH, GROSS, YUCK. I removed it, and promptly made a pact with myself to A) be thankful it wasn't in my brain and B) NEVER wear those damned little lenses again.

BTW the shoes looked awesome with my dress and were very suited to the impromptu rock climbing we did to arrive at the picture location - many thanks to the groomsmen who helped the bridesmaids navigate the rocks after the husbands abandoned us for warmer surroundings!

No comments: