Sunday, September 25, 2005

why do they lie?

I'm not getting esoteric or even metaphysical, I'm just asking why people are always compelled to lie about the distance of one point to another. You know how far it is, you've been there before, why do you lie?

I often wear very impractical shoes. The distance of a destination from the starting point is a very important and crucial piece of information. If it is within a reasonable distance I will walk; if it is a little farther but too close to justify a taxi, I will wear walking shoes and bring the pretty ones to put on at the destination; if it is within taxi distance, I will take the taxi.

Two blocks is not ten blocks. This is a significant difference in distance, one that will often result in blood and pus.

If you ask me how far something is I will tell you. I will even differentiate between a long block and a regular block. Or alternatively tell you the outside time it would take me to walk it in comfortable shoes.

It's a simple thing, be accurate. My feet will thank you.

1 comment:

indamanda said...

I have been doing the home pedicure lately. Have a very nice pumice stone, a simple vibrating foot spa and good moisturizer.

I think I'm at the point now where they won't have to shave the bottom of my heels the next time I decide to pay for a pedicure.

The open sores are pretty much gone now, have a pedicure on the 8th for my sister's wedding. Now I just have to let my toenails grow to a normal length so that they can put polish on them. (I prefer to keep them really short.)

OK. must stop talking about my feet.