Thursday, September 08, 2005

guilty pleasures

I was reading my friend KB's blog regarding her feelings on the television program RockStar INXS and it got me thinking about how much I've been enjoying the show. I really like the music and as an added bonus I've turned my husband into a fan. His first question on arrival home last night just before 11 was "Who'd they kick off?" I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to make the pun but I laughed just the same.

I've also been thinking about other little things that give me pleasure. For example, potato chips, trashy romance novels, silly ringtones for my mobile, but mostly bad TV. I'm home alone, a lot. I work from home and BC is usually not home until between 10 and 11. The TV is on all evening. Sometimes I'm watching it, sometimes it's just background noise. I've been trying to make an effort to read more in the living room with the radio for company. I went in there the other day and found that I didn't feel like it was my space. I felt like a visitor in my own home. So I am on a mission to spend more time there and fill it with my energy. Besides, we have the best Chaise Lounge EVER and it is so comfy and perfect for reading.

Picked up a couple of books today, The Virgin's Lover, Philippa Gregory. Contemplated picking up the book that follows Wideacre, but really had no desire to find out how the trilogy ends. The Virgin's Lover is all about Elizabeth I (my favourite feminist) and Robert Dudley. Can't wait to sink into it. Also picked up The Witch of Cologne, Tobsha Learner, about a Jewish midwife accused by the Inquisition.
Fortunately I have 8 hours on the train this weekend to really sink my teeth into these.

However, I will not be starting them tonight as it is the season premier of The OC. It's so bad but so good. Other shows that I should not watch, but can't help myself: America's Next Top Model, The Apprentice, Miami Ink, Monster Garage, ...

No comments: