Friday, July 15, 2005

ramblings

Today, Harry Potter 6 Eve, I have decided to ramble on about the books I am currently reading, have read recently and simply love.
"Favouritism" when it comes to books is a fluid concept with me. There are those that I hold dear in my heart, those whose writing astounds me with its beauty and those that I wish I had written myself they resonate so soundly with me.

Books read recently* (*they still resonate even though first reading may have been two years ago)

Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks - WW1, you'll feel like you've been there.
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, Dai Sijie - opened my eyes to something I knew nothing about
The Rule of Four, Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason - more plausible than the Da Vinci Code and riveting in its own way
Artemisia, Alexandra Lapierre - scholarly work written as a narrative, the true story of an exceptional artist and woman
Adam's Curse, Bryan Sykes - a rare venture into non-fiction, the story of the Y chromosome
The Virgin Blue, Tracy Chevallier - just as beautiful as Girl with Pearl Earring
Reading Lolita in Tehran, Azar Nafisi - so relevant and should be required reading for anyone who can read
The Red Tent, Anita Diamant - hearbreakingly beautiful

Just Finished

Passion, Jude Morgan - I'm a sucker for author recommendations on a cover, this was recommended by Tracy Chevallier. A really interesting read about the Romantic Poets Keats, Byron and Shelleyn and the women who loved them. Could have used a little more editing though, jumped around a lot without context.

Currently Reading

The Salmon of Doubt, Douglas Adams

in the cue

The Deptford Trilogy, Robertson Davies
Garden of Venus, Eva Stachniak
and of course, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, J.K. Rowling

I love books. I am going to get into trouble soon as I am running out of shelf space and have already started doubling up, which is frustrating since you can't see what you have. Someday I will catalogue them and store them in a more logical manner than my current method: ones I really love, ones I really love but won't fit on the shelf, paperback candy, girl books [chicklit] and classics.

No comments: